Tuesday, February 21, 2017


I'm trying something new to get back into the swing of blogging. I've giving myself an alliterative prompt for Tuesdays through Fridays: Tasty Tuesday, Wool Wednesday, etc. As the name implies, on Tasty Tuesdays I plan to share recipes that I've (modified and) made. Today I've got a vegan-ified enchilada pasta. It's really quick and easy to make, and very delicious and filling!

While your pasta cooks: books and a beer.
This dish was inspired by a recipe from No. 2 Pencil that I found on Pinterest. I love pasta and Mexican flavors, and lately I've been really drawn to recipes involving olives. I've also been learning more about what goes on behind the scenes with commercial meat, poultry, and dairy production. For about a year, my rule has been that anything I cook is vegetarian, but I can order whatever I want when I go out to eat. As I've learned more about the dairy and egg industries specifically, I've been slowing moving from being a vegetarian home cook to a vegan home cook.

Not going to win a beauty contest, but it's Grade A comfort food.
I probably modify carnivore recipes as much as I select vegetarian ones. One of my favorite tricks is to use lentils in place of ground meat. I like to buy dry lentils and cook them in a slow-cooker. For a quarter pound of lentils, I use 1.5 cups of water and let them cook for about 6 hours. If you like your lentils a little more "al dente" and/or you're pressed for time, you could probably do just 5 hours. To modify this recipe, I used my lentils, added a bunch of spices (oregano, cayenne, cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper), and left out the cheese. I also used vegetable broth. If you don't count all the time the lentils spent in the slow-cooker, it may have been faster to whip up my vegan version than the original recipe. With generous seasoning, I didn't miss the animal products at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment