Monday, July 11, 2016

A Tale of Four Scarves


You may recognize these scarves from my post about lazy blocking. They're all projects that I finished this spring and didn't feel motivated to wear in the climbing temperatures, so they had languished, unblocked, in my knitting bags.

Traveling Cable Scarf
Ravel it!
At some point, I decided that I wanted a purple scarf, so I picked up a ball of sock yarn and got to work. Specifically, I picked up a ball of Wisdom Yarns Naked Sock in Lilac Road. I have a feeling I based this project from a pattern I saw online, but I can't seem to retrace my steps and recover the original source pattern. Anyway, it's a pretty standard traveling cable pattern, so it wouldn't be hard to do a little Googling and improvise your own. 

Knotty Scarf
Ravel it!
I saw the Knotty Scarf in the summer issues of "Love of Knitting" and thought, "Ooohhhhh... I have to make that!" I used Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable in Tidal. The pattern is written for sport weight yarn, but I used worsted. As I recall, I cast on the same number of stitches so that I would be able to do the cabled loop as written, but I didn't do as many decreases and increases on the plain end to keep the scarf a reasonable length.

Loch Cowl
Ravel it!
My Loch cowl was inspired by a pattern for mittens in "Handmade in the UK" from Emily Wessel of Tin Can Knits. I had to do a little improvising beyond just following the lace chart, but it wasn't too hard to take a chart written for something that gets smaller at one end into something that stays (more or less) the same width throughout. The yarn is some pretty fancy stuff: String Theory Hand Dyed Yarn Merino DK in Twilight.

Laurel Leaf Cowl
Ravel it!
Both the pattern and yarn for this cowl came from a yarn store in Salem, Massachusetts. I love to pick up a skein of sock yarn when I'm traveling. Knitting with the yarn and wearing the finished project reminds me of my trip. This project gets extra-special bonus points, because the yarn is local and is from a yarn company that's really leaning into the association of Salem with witches--they're called Toil and Trouble.  

Believe it or not, I have even more finished objects coming in the next couple of weeks! My cat had emergency surgery a couple weeks ago, so I have spent a lot of time waiting for results, waiting for phone calls, and monitoring a sleepy, doped-up kitty. You just can't beat knitting and crochet for helping to ease stress and pass time. I have had plenty of anxiety to work out, so I have gotten a lot done!

No comments:

Post a Comment