Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Crafternoon: State Silhouettes



The only two states in which I have lived are probably also the two states most full of themselves: Virginia and Texas. When I was younger, I was horrified by the idea that someone might recognize me as a Southerner. I was positive that any hint of accent when meeting someone new would conjure images of Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel, and I Did. Not. Want. That. However, the older I get, the less I care what people think, and the more I embrace the geographical area known as The South.



The project is inspired by some prints I saw in an old issue of "Country Living." It's perfect for an afternoon, because you'll have it completed in less time than it took you to go buy the materials. Make one for yourself, or make one for someone who recently moved or is especially proud of their state and/or hometown.


Materials:

  • Caffeinated beverage
  • Word processing software of your choice
  • Cardstock
  • Printer
  • Scrapbook paper (2 contrasting designs/colors)
  • Scissors
  • Pencil
  • Glue of some kind
  • 8.5" x 11" frame


Directions:

  1. I like to start all of my projects by making either coffee or tea. For this project, I went with Celestial Seasonings Antioxidant Max Green Tea with two turbinado sugar cubes. Caffeine is an essential part of my creative process.
  2. Do a Google search for an outline of your state.
  3. Select a relatively simple version of your state, and then copy the image into a word processing program. If your state is taller than it is wide, stick with portrait layout. Since Virginia is on the long-and-skinny side, I used landscape.
  4. Resize the map so that it will fill most of the paper; print onto cardstock. If you don't have cardstock, it's not the end of the world, but a heavier paper will make tracing easier.
  5. Cut out the state shape, and then trace the template onto a piece of scrapbook paper. Erase any stray marks, then cut out the state.
  6. If you're using a new frame, use the paper insert as a guide for cutting down another piece of contrasting scrapbook to the dimensions of the frame.
  7. Glue the state onto the center of the paper you just trimmed.
  8. Allow the glue to dry before slipping it into the frame.
  9. If you want to get really fancy, you could place a sticker or draw a heart around the place you live.


No comments:

Post a Comment