|Prepped to prep!|
With the unexpected popularity of last week's post about meal-prepping, I thought I would share my game plan for this week. (Click the planner below for a full-size view.) For anyone concerned about time investment, it took me about an hour and a half to construct my meal plan, make my grocery list, AND write this blog post. I start with what's already in the freezer and then fill in the gaps with recipes that share similar ingredients and/or utilize ingredients already in the fridge or pantry to develop my menu.
|Click to see full size|
- Trail mix (dried berries, chocolate chips, raw almonds)
- Green beans (cooked in package, then drizzled with vinaigrette)
- Applesauce cake
- Popcorn (popped on the stovetop, then tossed with combo of herbs and spices)
- Tortellini bake
What's Already in the Freezer:
- Sweet potato burgers
- Marinara sauce for the tortellini bake
The Game Plan:
- Defrost marinara sauce and 3 sweet potato burgers in fridge Saturday into Sunday.
- On Sunday, prep and bake applesauce cake.
- Chop veggies and herbs for ratatouille and tortellini bake.
- Prep tortellini bake, put in oven with applesauce cake.
- Start ratatouille on the stove, then put in oven after applesauce cake is done.
- While ratatouille and tortellini bake are finishing up, start popcorn on the stove.
- Fill small containers with trail mix during remaining cooking/baking time.
- When popped, toss popcorn with whichever herbs and spices I'm in the mood for.
- At dinner time, cook burgers and fries in the oven on a cookie sheet.
- Cook green beans in microwave, then dress.
- Finish up burgers with a quick pan-fry to add some crunch/crispiness to the outside of the patties.
- When everything has cooled, package into single-serving containers. Put everything perishable in the fridge.
- On Monday, transfer all meals for Wednesday through the end of the week to the freezer.
I'm breaking some of my own "rules" this week--I'm going to have a rotating cast of characters going in and out of the oven on Sunday, and I will have some minor prepping to do during the week. Having to do anything at all during the week is usually my downfall with meal planning, but I think I can manage it. All I need to do is pop ratatouille topped with a raw egg into the toaster oven for about 20 minutes. Since I would want to reheat it regardless (and I really love ratatouille with an egg on top), I'm pretty sure I've got this.