Thursday, March 10, 2016

What People Talk About in a Complaint-Free World

If you are in the habit of complaining, it may seem a little daunting to try to converse with other humans without immediately defaulting to the negative. If you have noticed that you tend to default to whining, you may think, "Well what on Earth am I going to talk about instead?!" 

What's going on in your life that's positive? If you find it hard not to complain at work, what do you do after hours that brings you happiness? If you're tempted to say, "I can't wait to get out of here," try, "I can't wait to get back to the book I've been reading." If the grocery store is especially busy, instead of commiserating with the person behind you in line, quietly remind yourself that the ability to hop in your car for a quick trip to the store actually means that you are quite privileged. It takes some effort, but you can redirect most everyday complaints into something positive.

When all else fails, just change the subject to something better. Here are some things I'm going keep in mind for when I'm talking to someone and resisting the urge to complain:  

Projects I'm working on.




The book I'm reading.






Upcoming adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment