Sunday, March 6, 2016

1000 Things To Be Thankful For: 141-160

No clue if those hooves over my shoulder are coming or going.

141-160. Goats

Yesterday I had the good fortune to be a volunteer goat-snuggler at Caromont Farm in Esmont, VA. I can't begin to describe how joyful and restorative it was. As fun and light as goat snuggling is, it was also nice to be reminded that goat farming is no joke, and that there are real people hard at work behind the scenes of every food we eat. (For clarity, the product of this farm is goat cheese, not goat meat.)

"I'm just going to take a nibble of your braid, if you don't mind."

I played with two groups of about a dozen week-old goats. A kid was born just before I got there, and another had been born that morning, so I was delighted to get to see the tiniest of tiny babies. The kid "playpens" pretty much vacillate between complete chaos and nap time--there's not much in between! I didn't really know what to expect, but I told a friend that I was hoping to be covered in goats. That is pretty literally what happened. If they were awake, they were all over me in such a sweet, playful way. It's not for everyone; the kids were more or less hurling themselves at me, and it was a sea of ears, (blessedly dull) teeth, knobby knees, and wagging tails. It was the very definition of my jam.


While goat snuggling is a lot more active than, say, sloth snuggling, I left feeling refreshed and at peace rather than tired. It was one of those experiences that recalibrates your mental state. It's easy to get bogged down in the minutia of everyday life, particularly the annoying, nagging aspects, if you don't take time to find your bliss. I will officially return to the real world tomorrow when I go back to work, and my Sunday afternoon to-do list includes strategizing about how to get more bliss into my day-to-day. 

This kid is basking in the glow of his own goatiness.

How do you inject some tranquility into your week when a trip to the goat farm (or equivalent) isn't in the cards? When was the last time you felt truly at peace?


No comments:

Post a Comment