Friday, January 1, 2016

Resolution: Take Good Care



In the past, I've made dramatic resolutions (spending hiatus!), specific resolutions (do crow pose!), and feeling-based resolutions (feel mindful!), and none have been spectacularly successful. This year, I'm going to do something different and just resolve to take good care of myself as best I can most of the time. Most healthy resolutions are, afterall, really just a declaration that you intend to take better care of yourself in the year to come.

How could I not take care of this little beauty?

While my resolution is purposely loosely-defined, I do not naturally excel at exceptional personal care, so I came up with a touchstone. When all I want to do is eat a pizza and fall into bed at a ridiculously-early hour, I will envision my 8-year-old self, and ask myself what kind of care she deserves. While I don't have much trouble setting aside the needs of my current, 31-year-old self, I have a much harder time denying that sweet little girl. She deserves healthy food, a clean home, and time outdoors. She deserves to spend time reading good books and working on craft projects. She deserves to spend time with family and friends. She definitely ate pizza from time to time, and that's fine, but it's all too easy for adult me to get in a habit of making poor wellness decisions when no one is looking. I want to make this the year that I take excellent care of myself, simply because I am worthy of it, and my inner 8-year-old is going to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment