Saturday, January 2, 2016

Off the Board & Into the World: One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese

My version of One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese
Today marks the beginning of a new project: Off the Board & Into the World. Like many dedicated Pinners, I find myself looking over my boards and thinking, "Someday I'll use this..." But someday never seems to come. Possibly because I'm too busy adding more and more pins during the time I could be using to actually follow through on the ones I already have.

Together with some Facebook and Instagram friends, I'm going to make a concerted effort to spend more time doing and less time Pinning. First up in this grand experiment is the recipe for One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese from Damn Delicious.

Here's what I pinned:
Pin it
My result is shown in the image up top. Not too shabby, huh?

The Verdict: This dish really is damn delicious. You get the creamy, cheesiness of a mac and cheese with the heartiness of a chili. Nutritionally speaking, you get more fiber and protein from the beans than you would from a regular mac and cheese, but it's just as tasty. The recipe was easy to follow and lends itself readily to swaps based on preferences (I subbed ground chicken for beef) and what's in your pantry (I swapped pinto beans for kidney beans and mini penne for elbows). Very filling and satisfying, and if you, like me, have frequent cheese cravings this is a good way to squash them without overdoing it on the dairy. 

Would you like to productively Pin along with me? Follow my 'Off the Board & Into the World' board, and I'll invite you to add the Pins you've committed to bring into the world. If you take a picture of your creations, use the hashtag #offtheboardintotheworld on Facebook or Pinterest so we can share the fruits of our labors!

No comments:

Post a Comment