Wednesday, December 30, 2015

On New Year's Eve and Expectations



There's so much pressure around New Year's Eve. Society seems to expect anyone of drinking age to get dressed up and lit up. Add to that the all-important New Year's kiss, and it's a single introvert's anxiety nightmare. I recently read an article in which the author suggested that how you spend your New Year's Eve is indicative of how you'll spend the coming year, so, you know, no pressure there either.

My New Year's Eve is most likely to be a low-key evening at home. There's a pretty good chance that I won't even stay up until midnight. And, on the face of it, it might be easy to think, "Well that's going to make for a pretty boring/depressing year," but I think that would miss the point. I'm planning to make a nice dinner and spend time doing things I enjoy (reading, knitting, maybe some Netflix). I'm not going to worry about what has been deemed socially acceptable for this one particular night. I'm going to have a cozy, content evening, and, really, I think I would be lucky to get 366 more of them. And if I end up going out? That's great, too. Either way, I intend to make plans that set me up for a leap year's worth of contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment