Monday, November 2, 2015

'Put A Word On It' Thanksgiving Wreath


I so enjoyed my Halloween bat wreath that I decided to make another one for November/Thanksgiving. I like a rustic, harvest vibe for Thanksgiving, so I went with a grapevine wreath instead of using a styrofoam wreath form. Purple might not be a traditional Thanksgiving color, but I chose the purple flowers because I wanted something that would pop against my orange door. Materials and directions below:

Everything you need except a Sharpie

Materials:

  • Grapevine wreath form (Joann)
  • Silk flowers with a least three blooms (Michaels)
  • Wire cutters
  • Scissors
  • Wired ribbon (Michaels)
  • Hot glue gun and glue
  • Sharpie


Directions:

  1. Using the wire cutters, separate silk flowers and remove leaves as shown below.



  2. Thread the stems through the grapevine wreath in the center bottom, and then trim ends.



  3. Wrap the ribbon around either side of the hanging loop at the top of the wreath, and secure with hot glue. I folded under the raw edges to minimize fraying. The back of your wreath should look like this:



  4. Cut a long section of ribbon, and trim one end into an inverted 'V.' Starting with the last letter, write the word, 'thankful' in Sharpie. To make the letters stand out a little more, I went back and thickened the portions of each letter written with a down-stroke.
  5. Thread the ribbon around a center piece of grapevine, and then tie in a knot.
  6. Trim the end of the ribbon without writing into an inverted 'V.' 
  7. Because the ribbon is wired, you can adjust the two tails so that your writing is clearly visible and the two tails are reasonably symmetrical.

No comments:

Post a Comment