Monday, September 14, 2015

Bonanza of Bat Crafts: Swatch Art



I saw these mini cut-out wooden palette thingies at JoAnn when they first put out their Halloween stuff, and I thought, "Those are cute... But what do I do with them?" I couldn't come up with anything, so I passed them by. And then a week or two passed, and I got an email from the Yarnspirations blog featuring this project.


I decided to go in a bit of a different direction with my swatch art, opting for a single shade of yarn and mostly eschewing traditional Halloween colors. I knew I wanted to put these in my bedroom near an infrared photograph of the Austin bat colony, so I decided to mirror the colors of the armchair and footstool on the other side of the room. Bats are on display in my home year-round (though, admittedly, not in quantity that I have out for Bat Month October), so these bad boys will enjoy a spot on my wall until I move out.

Materials:

  • Cut-out palette things from JoAnn (couldn't find them online...)
  • Bernat Satin in Fern
  • Size 9 needles
  • Black acrylic paint for front of palette (I used CraftSmart Satin from Michaels)
  • Rose gold acrylic paint for sides of palette (I used Hand Made Modern Metallic from Target)
  • Paint brushes
  • Hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • Wall mounting kit


Directions:

  • Paint the palette however you would like. Since I was using two colors, I started with the sides (rose gold) and then did the fronts (black).
  • While the palettes are drying, knit your swatches. Cast on 35 sts.
  • Knit in stockinette until piece meaures about 9.25" across.
  • Bind off.
  • Weave in ends.
  • Hot glue fabric swatch to back of palette, stretching it slightly so that the fabric is taut.
  • Follow directions in wall mounting kit to attach hanger to back of palette.
  • Hang up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment