Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Alphabetical by Author: Mary Kay Andrews

Image via Good Reads


Since Edward Abbey didn't work out for me, I decided to go in a totally different direction to check the letter "A" off of my alphabetical fiction journey. I picked up "Spring Fever" by Mary Kay Andrews to read while on vacation.

To cut right to the chase, I didn't really like "Spring Fever." I didn't quite dislike it, but it just didn't really do it for me. I enjoyed reading enough to want to get closure on the characters, but I ended up skipping about 5 chapters in the middle to try to bolster my waning interest.

My main issue was that the characters just didn't have a lot of depth. They all felt one-note to me, and that didn't make them very relatable, despite the reviews that said everyone would relate to the main character, Annajane. There is a time and place for this kind of book--depth is messy; sometimes it's nice to root for the extremely-obvious and align yourself with the heroine, no reservations.

My recommendation (or lack thereof) really boils down to what you're looking for: Are you in the mood for something that won't require much thought and won't provoke any angst? Then go for it! "Spring Fever" will do the trick. Are you looking for something less predictable, something that might prompt you to put down the book from time to time and reflect? Go with something else. But keep "Spring Fever" in mind the next time you're in the mood for a neat-and-tidy, good-triumphs-over-evil happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment