Wednesday, April 22, 2015

This Earth Day, Do Nothing

Happy Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day! by happilyintended featuring a galaxy poster

One of my April goals is "spring greening," and, with Earth Day upon us, I've been putting some thought to what exactly I mean by that. Every April I like to reevaluate what I'm doing to be a good steward of the Earth, and, in a lot of ways, I'm pretty eco-friendly. I use biodegradable cleaning products. I recycle. I don't eat a lot of meat. There's room for improvement, but to make some of those improvements would require me to throw conventional products away. Dumping a half-used bottle of shampoo into the trash is really the opposite of green, so I'll make a few swaps when I'm actually in the market for replacements.

So while it seems like I'm ignoring my goal, in thinking about it, I think I might be doing one of the greenest things of all: nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but what would look like nothing to the untrained eye. I'm not going to drive to another city to buy groceries at Whole Foods or obsessively search the internet for the Very Best and Greenest Products. I'm going to sit and stare out my window and watch for birds. (It's threatening to storm, so it's going to have to be indoor birding today.) I'm going to practice my song identification skills. I'm going to remember some of the things that I love about nature that sometimes get lost in the shuffle of modern life. And I encourage you to do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment